Match Reports

2nd XI v Buxworth (away) Saturday 6th August

posted 8 Aug 2016, 09:20 by Mike Madden

Rumour going round that Toe won the match for us. Here's the truth. Will Weston took 4 wickets and Charlie Kitchen three to restrict Buggie to 202 for 9. Ed Kitchen thought he was captain but Toe demoted him to Toe's assistant.
Will McIlveen opened with Dave Lomax (15) and put on 99. Will went on to make 123. Ivan and DC fell for not many before Toe came in to join Will McIlveen at 145 for 3, and promptly ran out our star man and would be match winner. Charlie Kitchen came in and to prove it was no fluke, Toe ran him out as well. Rob Hill came in and understandably refused to leave his crease before getting out. Tom Hayes was briefed to be very suspicious of any forward motion by Hambleton so batted for a long while taking three cautious singles.
Toe made amends by striking several fours and a couple of sixes and despite being dropped twice saw us home at 205 for 6 with Toe on 47 no. Thus did Toe circumvent long term ignominy.
D. Cadwallader.

Whaley Bridge 2nds v High Lane (away) Saturday 23rd July

posted 31 Jul 2016, 12:55 by Mike Madden   [ updated 3 Aug 2016, 06:27 ]

There were a few unusual things about this game. Firstly, it was sunny. That in itself is remarkable in this wettest of seasons. The sun and the heat brought about the second unusual occurrence, we had drinks breaks every 15 overs.

High Lane batted first on what looked like a crumbly wicket, and Colin struck to keep up his good record this season. Ole was asked to unleash sheer pace, and he took a wicket first ball, one of three that his velocity earned him. He also achieved a non dangerous beamer, in that it sailed way over the batsman's head en route to Rob Hill behind the sticks.

Peter Crowley returned from the firsts and claimed three victims, whilst another first team regular, Reuben Cutts, finished off the innings with a smart caught & bowled.

We were reasonably confident chasing 131 all out, perhaps over confident. We gave the first teamers their chance, pushing the captain and vice captain down the order.

When David Lomax fell early on to an opening bowler who roared and pounded his chest as though auditioning for a part in Planet Of The Apes, the writing was on the wall. The High Lane enthusiasm was infectious and well founded. Reuben looked good but glanced one to the keeper. Peter flattered to deceive. The captain and and his vice didn't last long, and although Tom Heys clipped a nice leg side four we were never even close.

82 all out was what we deserved, and there will be radical changes in future games, not least because of availabilities. As we stood around afterwards, listening to Roy Clayton deliver ball by ball commentary on an agonising but predictable defeat for the firsts at home to Dove, we decided that Rob could take the keeping stuff as he would be available for the match at Buxworth. The only other person that could be guaranteed to be in attendance was Shawy, the umpire, so he has the scorebook!

Whaley Bridge v Birch Vale (home) 18th June 2016

posted 21 Jun 2016, 12:21 by Mike Madden

Second XI games against Birch are always welcomed, and this one was no exception. We were greeted by Johnson & Johnson, Burns, Platt and a trip down memory lane in the form of Chris 'caught Crompton bowled Shaw' Read, villain (at least as far as Birch are concerned) of the 1995 Bissenden Cup Final. 'He's not played for 12 years' was the claim, though despite this absence he was still considered to be in enough form to bat at 3. He was soon called into action as Will Weston bowled one of the Birch openers, but that was the most success Whaley had for quite some time. Ole Madden came into the attack and bowled his usual opening burst of long hops and full tosses, and once again he struck lucky as the visiting Aussie dollied one up to Will Weston in the covers. Andy Johnson showed no mercy, and whilst Burnsy played the more cultured innings, Andy crashed the ball for fours and sixes with effortless ease. Ed Kitchen suffered more than most, but he took 3 late wickets including Burns for 94 and Johnson for 116. Birch closed on 264 for 5, and it was always going to be too many, particularly when the ex skipper was caught for 5. Harry Bold made a welcome return to the fold, fielding very impressively. He was also striking the ball well, and this seemed to spur on David Lomax who hit two fours in what was for him a swashbuckling innings. When David went Ivan soon followed, and as Harry departed we were just about within 200 runs of our target on 73 for 4. Ole Madden was joined by skipper Thompson, and they never looked back. 100 came up, then 150. Ole reached his maiden 50, then Tommo also passed that milestone. We reached maximum batting points for the first time this season, and went on to reach 221 without further loss. Ole finished on 83 not out, with Tommo 11 runs less. Seven points were useful, but the return of Bold and Madden will probably prove to be more significant.

Whaley Bridge 2nd XI v Compstall (home) Saturday 4th June

posted 7 Jun 2016, 12:51 by Mike Madden

On Saturday Compstall came to town
The sun was hot the sun beat down
We lost the toss and batted first
Our team was weak but theirs was worse
We started slow but picked up pace
Then Compstall went and played their ace
Two caught and bowled on the attack
The tortoise and the hare sent back
So Ivan and his partner Will
They had an innings to rebuild
Will swung out and 50 came
The score was slow - Ivan to blame
But then the skipper came to play
And smote the ball in every way
He only faced for seven balls
But twenty four runs was his haul
We reached one hundred and seventy nine
At tea we thought it should be fine
But wickets they proved hard to take
And Compstall's ace had runs to make
Colin struck but just one time
Whilst Mikey twirled and swirled just fine
The ball was flicked across to Bruce
To Rob - a run out was produced
But Ivan on the stage again
Always the villain, causing pain
Two catches fell onto the ground
A stony silence all around
Now we are made of sterner stuff
And Whaley cried, 'Enough, Enough'
Mikey took a wicket, two
Whilst Bruce he kept the runs down too
Then Ole played the circus clown
The first ball pitched and bounced around
The batsman swung and barely hit
But Rob stood firm with ball in mitt
Mikey found another gear
3 for 32 brought cheer
Then Ole struck a second time
But still their ace stood firm in line
Then the madcap bowler found the edge
Rob again the ball to wedge
3 for seventeen for Ole
Now the Compstall tail was sorry
The end was nigh as number 10
Skyed one to the hands of Ben
We walked off tall we walked off proud
'Promotion?' no its not allowed!

In memory of the Louisville Lip!

Whaley Bridge 2nd XI v Hollingworth (away) Saturday 28th May 2016

posted 3 Jun 2016, 04:00 by Mike Madden

I can't promise one of these every week, but last week's game against Hollingworth is certainly worth detailing. We started with 9 men, then persuaded increasingly impressive scorer Tom Heyes to swell our numbers. We arrived at Hollingworth to some unfamiliar faces, and it seemed that they may be as short as us. The pitch looked ok, perhaps a little soft, but given the strength of our bowling attack we opted to stick them in. Heading out to field we realised that we did not have a wicketkeeper, and Ole Madden was swiftly commandeered into service.

This had an almost immediate effect as Ed Kitchen got one to drift away, and Ole took a smart catch. Colin Wild steamed in and the batsmen folded. Bowled, lbw, lbw, bowled. It seemed that we couldn't go wrong as the hosts slumped to 8 for 6. We sensed an early tea, but as ever in these situations, someone always gets a few. Ivan chased around the field with enthusiasm, but often with the strange appearance of an injured gazelle that suddenly receives a second bullet into its hind quarters. Bruce Glover dropped a difficult chance, and suddenly Hollingworth looked like posting a reasonable score. Enter our youngsters, and Charlie Kitchen got in on the lbw act. Bruce Glover required a bit of WD40, but after he shook off the rust he got the key wicket with Ivan taking a good catch. Charlie and Bruce claimed another victim each, and we were up against a total of 103 all out, with around 57 overs to get them.

With only 10 men we couldn't afford to lose an early wicket, but no one told Ivan. He chipped one up and we were 18-1, with the ex skipper on 16. Ole Madden came in at three and struggled to get off the mark. The score advanced to 37-1 with the ex skipper on 35, then Ole found his range with a flick into the nets for 6. He followed this with a four, then found himself trapped in front. 63-2 and cruising? Never at Whaley Bridge. Toe came in and struggled to time the ball. He subsequently blamed the middle on his bat, but as the ball never found that particular spot that is perhaps unfair on the innocent piece of willow. Toe went, followed by Charlie, but our purveyor of butternut squash, passion fruit and tomatoes did not lettuce down. Rarely can the Hollingworth attack have bean smote to all corners as the skipper began to re-pear the damage. He got us home for the loss of 5 wickets, and although Bruce struck the winning runs, we have to say thank shallot to the captain.

Whaley Bridge 2nd XI v Hazel Grove (away) Saturday 5th September 2015

posted 10 Sep 2015, 13:42 by Mike Madden

The season normally throws up one or two memorable games, and this one will live long in the memory for many reasons. Hazel Grove were aiming for promotion, whilst we still had the slim possibility that we could finish bottom if results went against us. We lost the toss and were asked to bat on a green, uneven wicket. Reuben Cutts and Harry Bold started confidently, despite Reuben getting a barrage of good natured sledging from ball one. He was dropped at slip by the Grove skipper, but that was the last one Wilkie put down all day. Harry was caught at slip by the same man for 11, whilst Peter Crowley became Wilkie's second victim for 1. Ivan Heathcote batted well for his 25, but he was another victim of Wilkie's safe hands. Reuben calamitously ran out Ole Madden for 2, then Will McIlveen took advantage of some friendly long hops. Reuben was eventually caught for 47, with Will falling to yet another Wilkie catch, this one quite outstanding. Bruce Glover was caught for 6, followed by the captain who was caught for 9. Nigel Morten hit a belligerent 12 before being stumped, whilst Ed Kitchen and Colin Wild saw us safely through to the close, unbeaten on 9 and 1 respectively as we finished on 166 for 9. Grove were reasonably happy with their 4 bowling points, little did they know that they would leave without adding to their tally.

The talk at the start of the innings was the two runs that Andy Oldfield needed to get to his 1000 for the season. We put together a cunning plan, crowding the opener from the start to get the runs to play on his mind, and when he inevitably reached his milestone we would heartily congratulate him, firstly because he deserved it, but secondly because it might just disturb his concentration. Colin limbered up to bowl as Reuben gave the game away in the field. I perhaps should have told him that we did not want to let And y know that we knew the situation, just keep him guessing with the field placings, but it was too late for that and we carried on with the plan. First up Andy drilled one straight back to Colin. His big hand stopped the ball, but he couldn't hold on to the catch. It seemed as though our main weapon would be out of the attack, but he soldiered on and Andy duly got his two runs. Colin's hand throbbed, and although there wasn't a Zeus like thunderclap, he was certainly breathing fire and brimstone. He got rid of the other opener with Nigel Morten taking a catch behind, and next ball he got his second victim with an identical dismissal. He couldn't quite get his hattrick, but 5 minutes later he removed the danger man with Ed Kitchen taking a rare catch at slip. Ed Kitchen got in on the act as Will McIlveen took a catch, then Ed took his second slip catch as Colin struck again. It was jug time as Colin claimed his fifth wicket clean bowled, Ed took his second after a very good catch from the much improved Ivan, and the captain decided to give his openers a rest. Peter Crowley struck immediately with a wicket clean bowled, and a shrewd field change saw Ole Madden take a wicket as Bruce Glover took a simple catch. He would have had a second as the captain moved Ed to fly slip, but that was the only drop of the whole innings. Peter finished things off as Bruce took his second catch, and Colin led us off with 5 for 18 off 9 overs. Hazel Grove were all out for 53, a remarkable performance in the field from Whaley Bridge and one that shocked us as much as them.

Whaley Bridge 2nd XI v Birch Vale 2nd XI (away) Saturday 29th August 2015

posted 31 Aug 2015, 07:02 by Mike Madden

The return fixture with Birch Vale at Whaley Bridge was a real thriller earlier in the season, and the rematch lived up to expectations. I awoke on the morning of the game, somewhat disappointed that my search for an extra man via text message had been in vain, but there were still plenty of options. Then another text came through, Lee Jones couldn't play and Reuben was in the firsts. I was now looking for two players, which soon became three as Oli Prior was ill. This was compounded by the early start, meaning less time to find replacements, and when all of our promising under 14s were unavailable it was time for a cunning plan. I rang TR Wild, and he couldn't play as he was actually our umpire with Nick Latham. Not any more. He was quickly drafted in, as was our scorer Tom Heyes, subject to the correct paperwork being available for the umpires. Several more messages went around in vain for number 11, the last being Nigel Morten at well past 12 o clock, less than an hour to start time. We did have an eleventh player already in the car, its just that Zac didn't know it yet. More refusals by text en route meant that Zac was playing, again subject to the inevitable paperwork, but it turned out that Birch were also giving opportunities to some of their younger members, and we were confident of a friendly yet competitive game. We won the toss and elected to bat, mainly because we had one senior bowler, plus Ben Stones. There was also Harry Bold, but he had had just one spell all season. So, we needed to bat for a long time, and when Ben was bowled for 0, shortly followed by Ivan Heathcote giving a return catch for 0, we were in a spot of bother. A recent game saw Offerton bowled out for just 38 by Compstall. We were 10 for 2 and staring into the abyss. However, we are nothing if not resilient, and Harry Bold and Marc Thompson set about mustering a target. Tommo was bowled for 25, but by then we had cruised to 66. There is always something of a collapse on the cards, and here it was precipitated by Rob Hill being caught for 1 and Jack Kitchin caught for a golden duck. Russ Wild played very unlike the Russ Wild of yesteryear, smashing the ball off the square with great regularity. He was eventually stumped for 13, having seen us just about scrape a batting point. Harry brought up a well deserved 50, eventually falling to a catch for 68. Tom Heyes was nervous at first, but he nudged a single and kept the captain company for some time before being trapped lbw for 1. The third batting point was achieved with some lusty blows. The captain dealt in sixes whilst Colin Wild stuck with fours. The captain was stumped for 30, bringing Zac Madden to the middle with the score on 167. He stuck around as Colin claimed our fourth batting point, and as Birch went after their fifth bowling point, Zac clipped the last ball off his legs for 4. That was his only scoring shot as he walked off unbeaten, accompanied by Colin who was not out 20. The score of 180 for 9 was a challenging one, but there was still the issue of the 33 overs we needed to find once Colin's spell was over.

Zac was not really in the mood to field, and after six overs his mum took him home, so we were down to 10 men. Stonesy felt ill at tea, but he opened at the opposite end to Colin. Unfortunately, just over three overs into his spell, he felt ill again and had to leave the field. Birch sportingly gave us a sub as Ben went off to hospital, and the skipper turned to TR Wild to finish his over. You could almost hear the creaks as TR turned his arm over, and the Birch openers swung and swished without much success. With little time to recalculate, Russ was given another over, then another, and more. Colin was coming to the end of his opening spell, but he found inspiration and a wicket clean bowled. Remarkably, Russ then got in on the act as the other opener fell to a simple catch by Harry Bold. Where were the demons coming from? Russ's next over saw him bowl a maiden to the wily and explosive David Platt. Ivan Heathcote has been practicing his finger spin, and although it was a surprise for him to be second change, he lived up to the task, bowling 5 reasonable overs before he was replaced by Tom Heyes. Russ continued to the end of his 11.5 over spell, finishing withe a creditable 1 for 53. Harry Bold replaced him, and although he was a little expensive we persevered with his twirlers. At the other end Tom Heyes bowled three very tidy overs for just 8. Ivan came back and had lost some of his control, but we still had Colin to rely on. Unfortunately Birch still had Mr Platt, and he took full advantage of Harry's bowling, giving Colin's the respect it deserved. He timed his run to perfection, and saw Birch home for the loss of just 2 wickets with 1 over to spare. Birch deserved their triumph, but Whaley played full part in a great contest. News of Ben was worrying, but he has since recovered and is feeling much better.

Whaley Bridge 2nd XI v Compstall 2nd XI (away) Saturday 15th August 2015

posted 31 Aug 2015, 06:18 by Mike Madden

Its always a pleasant journey to Compstall, and this one was no exception, particularly as we took our own umpire, the esteemed Mr Latham, and the ridiculously long straight boundary had been significantly reduced. We batted first, and got off to a stuttering start as Ben Stones was bowled for 5. Harry Bold and George Holden repaired the damage until Harry gave a return catch to the veteran Mike Hawkin for 30. Within a few overs Reuben Cutts was bowled for 0, Ole Madden was bowled for 3, and George finally fell, caught for 33. We had slumped to 78 for 6, but Ivan Heathcote and Charlie Kitchen started the rebuilding exercise until Ivan was trapped lbw for 17. Charlie was next to go, bowled for 8, followed by the skipper who was caught for 7. The tail wagged like a scolded dog trying to find favour, with Ed Kitchen bowled for 13, then Colin was bowled for 2 to leave Ethan Williams unbeaten on 4 and the total looking a bit on the small side at 135 all out.

And so it proved to be! Colin and Ed Kitchen could not force their way through the opening pair, and neither could Ben Stones. Ole Madden finally made the breakthrough with a wicket clean bowled, but that was it! We lost by 9 wickets in a contest that should have been a lot closer, but with batsmen out of form and our two opening bowlers failing to strike it was only to be expected.

Whaley Bridge 2nd XI v Charlesworth 2nd XI (home) Saturday 8th August 2015

posted 9 Aug 2015, 08:45 by Mike Madden   [ updated 31 Aug 2015, 03:13 ]

There was a sense of Deja Vu as we welcomed Charlesworth to New Horwich Park, with our side containing 8 juniors, the same number that travelled to Charlesworth earlier in the season. Charlesworth won the toss, and on a greenish pitch elected to bat. Although they started well, Colin Wild ripped through their top order with three wickets, all clean bowled. There was some bizarre fielding, and for once it was not Ivan causing consternation. Sam Johnson did a couple of brilliant stops at backward square, and Ivan raced across the ground like a gazelle in pursuit of the ball towards the very long boundary. Ed Kitchen replaced Will Weston, and he was rewarded when son Charlie took a good catch. Dan Burt, Ben Stones and George Holden all bowled well without success, and it was Charlie Kitchen who struck next, with a fortunate wicket clean bowled. Will Weston returned and took another wicket clean bowled, then Ivan's much improved fielding display culminated in a run out as keeper Ole Madden removed the bails. Colin returned and progressed to his first five wicket haul of the season with another two wickets clean bowled, and the final dismissal went to Ed Kitchen as the skipper took a catch at short extra cover. The total of 181 all out was challenging, but with a little application it was well within our grasp.

Sadly, the application remained in the dressing room, and when openers Ben Stones and Ivan Heathcote were back in the shed with just 12 on the board we were up against it. George Holden and Ole Madden set about repairing the damage. George was caught behind for 20, and this sparked another collapse as Charlie Kitchen was trapped lbw for 4 and Ole was bowled for 24. Will Weston and Sam Johnson both scored their highest totals for the second team with 8 and 7 respectively, but then it was left to the captain to salvage some pride at 84 for 7. Dan Burt was bowled for 2 and Ed Kitchen was lbw for 8, but the captain bludgeoned a quick 24 until he was caught to end the innings. Colin Wild didn't face a ball and remains a long way short of his first ever 100 run season, as Whaley were all out for 126. It was a disappointing end, but 7 points was a decent haul, and we look forward to fielding  a stronger side in the coming weeks.

Whaley Bridge 2nd XI v High Lane (home) Saturday 25th July 2015

posted 26 Jul 2015, 06:38 by Mike Madden   [ updated 9 Aug 2015, 08:29 ]

We welcomed High Lane to New Horwich Park with a confidence borne on the back of several very good performances, including the narrow defeat at Tintwistle the previous week. High Lane are renowned as a bowling side, so it was somewhat disappointing to lose the toss and be put in to bat. It didn't start well. Ben Stones gave a sharp return catch for 4, and Harry Bold chipped one up to be caught for 23. George Holden and Marc Thompson were both caught off bad balls for 15 and 9 respectively, then Charlie Kitchen was bowled for 6. Harry Elms got frustrated by the leg spinner and was stumped for 28, whilst Ole Madden was frustrated by the same opponent, chipping up a return catch for 3. Ivan Heathcote was joined by the skipper at 102 for 7, and it looked like an early tea. However, this pair bludgeoned their way to a 50 partnership, with Ivan eventually falling to a catch in the deep for 24. The skipper didn't last much longer, caught on the edge for 30, and when Ed Kitchen was caught for 4 to leave Colin Wild not out on 1 we had reached a respectable 164 all out. Crucially, we had given High Lane an extra three overs to get their runs.

Things didn't start well in the field either! Ole Madden dropped a sharp chance behind the stumps off Ed Kitchen, there was a missed stumping opportunity, and another dropped catch by Ivan. Undeterred, Colin continued to steam in, and he was rewarded when a leading edge looped up to the captain at gully. The other opener was determined to get on with it, but the impressive Harry Elms took a good catch at mid off. Ed took another two wickets, with a simple catch to the captain at silly mid off, and an lbw decision. Harry Elms replaced Colin and bowled with tremendous control. Ben Stones came into the attack with devastating effect. His first ball flew high into the air. The captain and Tommo both moved towards it, but the confident Ole Madden called it and took it in his gloves. Next ball George Holden picked the ball up to confusion between the batsmen. He threw it in and Ole Madden had an easy task to remove the bails. 76 for 6 and Whaley were favourites. The dangerous High Lane captain started to find his range, but Stonesy again struck as the unfortunate batsman watched in despair as the ball trickled off his bat and onto the stumps. Harry completed his spell of 12 overs for 32 runs, and it would have been much less if one fielder in particular had been on his game! High Lane were gradually creeping back into it. A 50 partnership saw them get to within 14 runs of victory, but then the ball was smashed to Charlie Kitchen in the covers, he dropped the chance, but immediately picked up the ball and threw down the wickets with little more than one stump to aim at. Three balls later George Holden got the wicket that his spell deserved, as Charlie Kitchen held on to a simpler chance. With two overs to go there was still 13 runs required, and the last pair were at the wicket. Colin bowled with renewed pace, and he got one to lift. It brushed the glove as Ole Madden took the leg side catch to finish the game. It was a great contest, with Whaley Bridge triumphing by 11 runs. Next week we visit bottom of the table Chapel, in a much more comfortable position than we were three weeks ago.

1-10 of 101