Match Reports‎ > ‎

2nd XI v Buxton (home) Saturday 17th August

posted 22 Aug 2013, 13:45 by Mike Madden

After three consecutive wins the seconds were looking forward to the visit of Buxton, and it was a good toss to win. Unfortunately it was won by Buxton, and they had no hesitation in asking Whaley Bridge to bat on a dampish track. It was slow going, with the captain crawling to 28 before being caught, having taken the score to 54 accompanied by opening partner Harry Bold. Elliot Simmonds followed up his good knock from the previous week with a first ball duck, whilst Peter Crowley batted like a man in a hurry before being caught behind for 2. Ben Williams has found some form of late, but he lost Harry who was caught for a fine 36. JJ came and went, caught for 1, but Ben kept a cool head. Ole Madden joined him and they took the score past 100 when Ben was bowled for 22. Ole was caught for 10, then Bruce Glover was caught for 2 to bring Gibbo to the wicket where he joined Dave Marchington. Gibbo called for a quick single, in fact I will say that again, Gibbo called for a quick single, but it was never on. Turning almost as quickly as the Queen Mary, Gibbo just about made his ground and we had the unusual situation of a breath back ball without a run being scored. Dave was insulted by the 7-2 field, then picked out one of the two. Next ball he played an audacious reverse sweep to good effect, but then he lost Gibbo, caught for 6. Dave continued his assault, culminating in a top edged six that sailed over the ropes on the wind off the last ball of the innings. Colin didn’t have to face a ball as Dave remained unbeaten on 18, and we had somehow mustered a respectable 130 for 9.

The skies looked ominous, but we tucked into tea and opted for a new ball for the first time since our winning run began. Colin steamed in and bowled four overs for ten, whilst JJ was as quick as ever with his three overs for nine. There was very little incident in the 22-0 as the rain enveloped New Horwich Park, and we trudged off until it passed. After an hour we called it a day, at which point the rain inevitably started to clear. That’s four without defeat for the seconds, and there is renewed confidence for the trip to Compstall at the weekend.