Match Reports‎ > ‎

Compstall 2nds v Whaley Bridge 2nds Saturday 3rd May 2014

posted 9 May 2014, 06:25 by Mike Madden
It is always pleasant to play at Compstall, and with the news that High Lane had pulled out of the following day's cup match the mood was bright as the sun shone down upon the wok. We lost the toss and thoroughly expected to field, but the home side stuck us in with the excuse that they had a weak batting line up. The captain took the opportunity to drop down the order so Harry Bold and Elliot Simmonds opened. Harry was caught for a duck, but things got worse as he decided to take over in the scorebox. He stepped backwards and fell down the steps, injuring himself in the process. We were down to 10, but Elliot and Rob Hill were plundering runs freely. Elliot was caught for 29, whilst Rob was bowled for the same figure, and when Ole Madden was caught for 0 we had taken a big step backwards. Bruce hung around for a while but lost patience and was caught for 6, then Ivan Heathcote inexplicably stood his ground as the captain stood by him and was run out for 19. Ivan was caught shortly afterwards for 9. Peter Crowley and Gibbo started to find a rhythm, and as the crowd roared them on Gibbo actually turned for a three. Although he was running to the "safe" end, there was certainly danger as he appeared to be running up and down on the spot at the end of the third run. Not surprisingly he was bowled for 15, which brought Colin to the crease. There were some lusty blows in his unbeaten 15, whilst Peter crafted his way to 28 not out and we had reached a creditable 156 for 8 at the close. This should have been a good target to defend, even with 10 men, but when Michael Glover stepped into the breach to field, complete with navy Derbyshire track pants we were surely already over the line. Colin and Peter failed to find the edge in good opening spells, but Gibbo entered the fray to dramatic effect. Three wickets bowled and two lbw ensured that he would have to buy a jug, but he didn't stop there. He conjured yet more magic as the captain took three consecutive catches on the square, and Gibbo came to the end of his spell with figures of 8 for 10 off 12. Colin had 0 for 10 off 8 and Peter 0 for 13 off 5, whilst Ole and Ivan chipped in with an over apiece for 1 and 5 respectively. It was left to Bruce to finish off the innings, with 2 wickets. The first was a good catch by Ivan, whilst the second was a catch by Bruce himself, as his father decided that he would go nowhere near the looping ball. Bruce finished with 2-2 off 4, and Compstall were all out for just 64, a comprehensive victory for Whaley that could be the launchpad for the season.

Whaley Bridge 2nd XI v Hollingworth Saturday 26th April 2014

It was always accepted that we didn't have the strongest bowling side for the visit of Hollingworth, so when we won the toss it was no surprise when we asked them to bat first. Colin Wild got the early breakthroughs with a wicket lbw and another with a catch behind by veteran 'keeper Nick Latham. Gibbo got in on the act with 2 wickets bowled and 1 lbw, and there could have been a fourth if he had held on to a full length diving catch (see Captain's Blog). Peter Crowley had a spell without success, as did Bruce Glover whose 4 overs cost 16. Ole Madden dismissed the visiting captain as Peter Crowley took a good catch to finish with 1-23 off 4, then Peter took the final wicket to fall, with another catch behind by the increasingly rigid Mr Latham. Colin had 2-33 off 12, Peter 1-34 off 11 and Gibbo 3-40 off 11, whilst Danny Burt had 3 overs for 10 in the Hollingworth total of 159-7. There is an interesting twist to second team cricket this year, with bowlers limited to 12 overs each. So the already overworked captain has to figure out the junior AND senior restrictions in terms of bowling spells, as well as the more common issue as to what to do when someone is chucking pies. Anyway, after a hearty tea we had a big task on our hands, The captain opened the batting with Harry Bold,  and when Harry was caught for 7 Peter Crowley joined the party. He hung around for 10 overs before being bowled for 1, and with the score on 50 for 2 half way through our overs we were up against it. Charlie Kitchen was bowled for 2 whilst Ole Madden was caught for 3, and with the score on 72 for 4 with just 13 left we were looking at a heavy defeat. The captain passed 50, but the run rate kept increasing, and twos were becoming increasingly difficult. Bruce hung around until the last ball of the innings, getting stumped for a valiant 14 as we finished on 124 for 5 with the captain unbeaten on 78. It was an inevitable loss, but one that we can learn from as the top order failed to keep up with the run chase.