Match Reports‎ > ‎

Saturday 16th July 2nd XI v Chapel (home)

posted 19 Jul 2011, 05:12 by Mike Madden
Sometimes, when you wake up, that is as good as it gets for the whole day. And when Scholesy woke up on this cold, wet morning, lovingly caressing a plate of rice and curry sauce from the night before, he probably realised then that he should have stayed in bed, or at least removed the congealing Chinese offering and then gone back to his pit. Fortunately, he galvanised himself for a day of hard drinking. Unfortunately, the biblical deluge briefly relented, and we were set for a pivotal game against Chapel.
It was quite surprising that the ground was actually fit to play on, less surprising was the decision of John Theyer, the Chapel captain, to stick us in when he won the toss. The match was reduced to 43 overs per side, and the game began with drizzle in the air.
It was an eventful first over. Two full tosses were dispatched for four by myself, whilst there were also two twos, one of which could have been a run out, a wide and a single. 14 for 0, and we looked set for a big score. The umpire asked Gibbo, at square leg, if he thought we should continue, and the ex skipper replied in the affirmative. Unfortunately, two runs and three balls later, I was caught at point and Elliott came to the middle. There was then a short break for rain, after which we decided that the covers were too much like hard work so we would dispense with them. Elliott and Callum steadied the ship, adding 39 before Elliott was caught for 25. Harry Bold fell to a brilliant catch for 2, then Reuben Cutts also went for 2. JJ Goldfinch showed his intentions from the start, but when Callum fell for 20 we were still only 73 for 5. With Peter Crowley joining JJ it was like chalk and cheese, with Peter's elegant though ineffectual leaves being contrasted with JJs wild but lucrative blows. Peter fell for 6, and JJ went shortly after for 24, leaving Rob Hill and the calamitous Scholesy together. Rob prodded and poked for 16 to bring Gibbo to the fore, but there was an instant misunderstanding. Scholesy ran two whilst Gibbo was unmoved, and to make it worse the ginger batsman had to execute a full length dive to make his ground, not the best of moves as it ended up with him being covered in mud.
In a bizarre sequence of events, Scholesy was struck on the hand, which made him hastily remove his glove and hop around like a girl, much to the amusement of the first team who had returned from their rained off game at Mottram, then shortly afterwards he was struck on the wrist, ruling out any remote possibility of him bowling. In his panic he skied one to the keeper for 17, so with 10 and 11 at the crease we were still on just 137. Gibbo and Colin then took masterful control, with Gibbo ending unbeaten on 26 and Colin on a worthwhile 4. We reached 167 for 9 off our allotted overs, and we were in with a definite chance as the Chapel skipper followed the lead of the defeated Buxworth skipper in asking for Big Bertha.
The rain intervened again, and Scholesy's misfortunes mounted as he walked into a door. The brief Chapel innings reached 3 for 0 when the showers came again, and this time the rain stopped play games resulted in Scholesy taking one directly in the knackers. With storm clouds gathering we shook hands for a draw, with Scholesy returning home to nurse his variety of injuries.