Match Reports‎ > ‎

Saturday 25th May v Hollingworth (home)

posted 27 May 2013, 05:20 by Mike Madden
We had a choice of wet wickets for this fixture, and with a strong side we had no hesitation in asking the vistors to bat first. Colin started with his usual line and length, whilst at the other end JJ Goldfinch tore into the opposition. He claimed his first victim as Harry Bold clutched a bottom edge, then a second clean bowled as we got on top. Gibbo came on and exerted some control, though Ben Williams, at the other end, was a little wayward. Ben encouraged the batsmen to have a go, and this resulted in a marvellous moment. The ball spun up in the air towards backward point, some ten yards from where Gibbo was fielding. The tenacious twirler set off towards it, but although his legs were pumping away he was making no progress. Eyes pointed upwards, he watched the ball reach the apex of its curve and start its descent. Suddently he lurched and his motion changed from running on the spot to a forward thrust. He clutched the red cherry in his hands and set off in celebration, a celebration that was curtailed as he entered a phase somewhat similar to the legendary "breath back ball". Ben finished with 1 for 7 off 2 overs, then Gibbo got in on the act as the captain took a catch in the covers. Sam Slack, ex first team batsman, showed one of the reasons that he was now in the seconds as he dropped a dolly, whilst Ben Stones chipped in with 1 for 16 off 4 overs, with his wicket clean bowled. Gibbo finished with 1 for 20 off 8, whilst Bruce Glover was not his usual tidy self, possibly suffering from a wrist injury, as he sent down two overs for 15. Another ex first teamer, Alisdair Bailey, was asked to bowl himself into some kind of form, and he eventually suceeded by dislodging the stumps, however his two overs had gone for 14. Controversy reigned, as entertaining umpire Pete Fletcher, on this occasion NOT dashing off for a pee, wrongly called "no shot" for a bye. Both the captain and the square leg umpire, Terry Dodds, pointed out the rule to Pete, who eventually conceded with a grin that confirmed he had quite possibly got it wrong on this occasion, and no doubt others too. Ole Madden replaced Gibbo and bowled three very tight overs for just 7, then it was time for the openers to return. JJ's second spell was even better than his first as the visiting batsmen had no answer. A startled Gibbo took his second catch, and a relieved Sam Slack finally clutched one as JJ moved to 4 victims, then he got his final scalp clean bowled. His 10 overs produced figures of 5 for 29, and we will struggle to keep him in the seconds next week. Colin finally got the reward that his endeavours deserved as Harry Bold took his second catch behind, with Col finishing with 1 for 27 off 11.3. 136 all out was a challenging total on a drying wicket, especially after tucking in to the sumptuous tea.

The captan opened with Ben Williams, and Ben's day got considerably worse when he missed a full toss and was out lbw for 5. Sam Slack joined the captain and they put together a steady 57 partnership before the captain was caught for 32. Harry Bold gave a return catch for 0, a typical dismissal on this type of wicket, then JJ did the same for 5. Sam was bowled for 29, and when Ben Stones was harshly adjusged lbw for 0 we had slumped from 71 for 2 to 84 for 6. Alisdair Bailey decided that attack was the best form of defence, and he chanced his arm with some huge hits. At the other end, Ole Madden defended well, keeping the good balls out and giving his partner the strike. They inched forwards, 5 runs at a time, then 10, passing 100. We reached our second batting point at 125, and confidence was high. When Ole was out for 2, the partnership was 49 and the score was 133. We were almost home as Bruce Glover left his one delivery for 0 not out. Bails then launched one over mid wicket for the winning four, and we recorded an eventually comfortable 3 wicket victory. Commiseration to Hollingworth, and in particular their opening bowler who went down with an injury and took no further part in the match. We move on to Buxton next week, with potentially an even stronger side. Lets hope we get Pete and Terry as umpires again, as they are becoming a great double act who know quite a bit about cricket too (well, Terry does)!