Match Reports‎ > ‎

Saturday 4th August v Chapel (away)

posted 8 Aug 2012, 02:59 by Mike Madden
There was some rare sunshine that greeted the teams for this local derby, but despite the warmth the wicket looked like it had plenty of life in it. The captain won the toss and had no hesitation in asking Chapel to bat, but as John Theyer hit a few early boundaries it could have all gone terribly wrong. Henry Holden struck, with a fine catch behind by Harry Bold, then he doubled his tally with his second victim clean bowled. Colin got in on the act with a second catch from Harry, then Henry removed another of the Chapel dangermen, again clean bowled. Henry was on fire, and his fourth wicket again dislodged the bails, but he had to be taken out of the attack as he had bowled his quota of overs for that spell. Ex first teamer Neil Pheasey started to dispatch the ball to all corners of the soggy ground, and this worked against Milly in particular as his recovery period between balls grew longer and longer. Fortunately Reuben Cutts was alert, and he took a marvellous one handed catch off Peter Crowley to put Whaley back on top. Harry took his third catch off Gibbo, as Peter ended his spell of 6 overs, 1 for 24. Reuben bowled 5 tidy overs for 20, whilst Ben Stones had just the one over for three runs as he enabled Gibbo to change ends. Gibbo got the vital wicket, clean bowled, finishing with 2 for 17 off 7, then the openers returned. Colin got a well deserved 2nd wicket after a catch from Rob Hill to finish with 2 for 35 off 11, whilst Henry got his fifth with an lbw decision, giving him 5 for 27 off 13 overs and 5 balls. The total of 128 all out was probably 20 more than we would have liked, but with our batting line up we were definitely in with a chance. There were murmurings at tea that certain players were much happier to bat second as they could dine at a much more leisurely pace, and with no requirement to umpire it may have been that some were set for a lazy afternoon. Ben Bettney even went to the bar and ordered a pint of bitter, though to be fair to Ben he did admit that "I would have had lager but I've got to bat yet." The innings opened in fiery style, with balls flying everywhere. The score had reached 22 when the captain gloved one to slip for 10, and he was quickly followed by Milly, bowled for 9. Harry went in similar fashion for 0, then Rob Hill was bowled at the other end for 2. We weren't exepecting much from Ben Bettney at 6, and we weren't disappointed as he was bowled for 3, but Henry looked well settled. Arguably our best junior for ten years dabbed one to gully, and Peter Crowley inexplicably called for a single. A direct hit was probably not necessary, but that is what happened and Peter was run out by a mile for 0. At 31 for 7 the game was all but over, however, Henry and Ben Stones had other ideas. They both dug in well and then started to play their shots, but after a momnets hesitation Henry was run out for a top score of 34, despite the dyslexic scoreboard showing 43. Shortly afterwards Ben was bowled for 8, so we were 50 runs short with Reuben and Gibbo at the crease. With Gibbo not wanting to risk a single unless the ball travelled at least a furlong the going was tough, but gradually the score increased. Reuben was bowled for 12, but we had reached 100 and our first batting point. With Colin coming in it would be over quickly one way or the other, and unfortunately a stunning one handed catch sent it Chapel's way. Colin had recorded another duck, leaving Gibbo on 8 not out and the score on 100. A 28 run defeat, but a lot of encouraging performances from our junior contingent. The Chapel players unanimously agreed that we had a good crop of youngsters, and they also agreed that Gibbo is still increasing in size.