Match Reports‎ > ‎

Sunday 3rd July 1st XI v Tintwistle (home)

posted 4 Jul 2011, 07:34 by Mike Madden
On a very warm, sunny, Sunday morning I was rudely awaken by Dave Marchington wanting me to open up the pavilion at Buxworth as he has lost his phone. I asked him if he had tried ringing it but his sense of humour to that question appeared to be wearing thin. Anyway, while there I decided I would go and spend my afternoon watching Dave and his merry men try to bounce back from an annihilation by Buxworth the previous day, mainly suffering their pains from a 15 year old bowler and 19 year old batsmen (the future’s bright, the future’s Buxworth) – also a special mention must go to Dale at the top of the order Saturday facing 21 balls before getting off the mark on “the postage stamp”.
 
We got there just in time for the start and with plenty of cider – unfortunately purchased from tescos and not via donation to the cricket club. Whaley won the toss and were batting in the searing heat, Cromp and Dec managed a steady if a little slow start (nowhere near as slow as Dales start the previous day) which built a platform for the rest of the team to build on.
 
All of Whaley’s top order managed to chip in a bit and keep the score ticking up to somewhere near the 200 you thought would be a par score.  Many did think 230 would have been a winning total but thought 200 was enough to make a game of it against a good side. With 10 overs remaining Whaley were only just above the 100 mark and didn’t look like they were going to get enough. Dale then started to open his shoulders and go after the Tintwistle attack. Dale proceeded to find the boundary regularly and Slack and Schofield both fell victims to run outs in order to protect Dale. Dale then himself was stumped leaving the tail to get bat on ball as often as possible to tip the 200 mark which they just managed, being bowled out in the last over.
 
At tea there was a fabulous game of French cricket in the outfield while waiting for Whaley to come and attack tintwistle’s top order. Slacky and Stanway opened the bowling superbly and kept it tight, Whaley clearly saving Dale for the close finish. Whaley took three early wickets thanks to three magnificent catches from Dec at slip. Tintwistle then seemed to steady the ship a little and started to get the board ticking again. Gibson came on and bowled just about 80% good balls - we wont talk about the other 20%, perhaps he was distracted by Josh wearing his united top!
 
Dave then got the valuable wicket of Harris thanks to some juggling by Dale at point and the tides looked in Whaley’s favour once more. This however didn’t seem the case and Tintwistle fought back again. Dale then bowled a great line and length at the death taking some regular wickets. With 3 overs left it looked close and you couldn’t call it either way. Going into the last over Tint were 8 wickets down and needed 6 runs to win.
 
They got a single off the 1st ball as Dale looked to keep the pressure on. He bowled a dot ball. The third ball was a leading edge sending an easy catch back to Dale and the ball just spun out of his hands. It didn’t seem to be the end of the world though as it was still a dot ball leaving Tint 5 to win from the last three balls. The next ball was smashed though extra cover four and the drop began to look a little more costly. The scores were tied with 2 balls left and it became clear that Whaley needed to take two wickets now as a tie would give tint the game. The field came in and they hoped for something special but 2 dots to finish the over was the result.
 
Whaley played very well and the effort from everyone was tremendous but victory wasn’t to be. I’m still wondering if Scholesy has mentioned the dropped catch to Dale after Saturday’s events…
Comments