Match Reports‎ > ‎

Whaley Bridge 2nd XI v High Lane (home) Saturday 25th July 2015

posted 26 Jul 2015, 06:38 by Mike Madden
We welcomed High Lane to New Horwich Park with a confidence borne on the back of several very good performances, including the narrow defeat at Tintwistle the previous week. High Lane are renowned as a bowling side, so it was somewhat disappointing to lose the toss and be put in to bat. It didn't start well. Ben Stones gave a sharp return catch for 4, and Harry Bold chipped one up to be caught for 23. George Holden and Marc Thompson were both caught off bad balls for 15 and 9 respectively, then Charlie Kitchen was bowled for 6. Harry Elms got frustrated by the leg spinner and was stumped for 28, whilst Ole Madden was frustrated by the same opponent, chipping up a return catch for 3. Ivan Heathcote was joined by the skipper at 102 for 7, and it looked like an early tea. However, this pair bludgeoned their way to a 50 partnership, with Ivan eventually falling to a catch in the deep for 24. The skipper didn't last much longer, caught on the edge for 30, and when Ed Kitchen was caught for 4 to leave Colin Wild not out on 1 we had reached a respectable 164 all out. Crucially, we had given High Lane an extra three overs to get their runs.

Things didn't start well in the field either! Ole Madden dropped a sharp chance behind the stumps off Ed Kitchen, there was a missed stumping opportunity, and another dropped catch by Ivan. Undeterred, Colin continued to steam in, and he was rewarded when a leading edge looped up to the captain at gully. The other opener was determined to get on with it, but the impressive Harry Elms took a good catch at mid off. Ed took another two wickets, with a simple catch to the captain at silly mid off, and an lbw decision. Harry Elms replaced Colin and bowled with tremendous control. Ben Stones came into the attack with devastating effect. His first ball flew high into the air. The captain and Tommo both moved towards it, but the confident Ole Madden called it and took it in his gloves. Next ball George Holden picked the ball up to confusion between the batsmen. He threw it in and Ole Madden had an easy task to remove the bails. 76 for 6 and Whaley were favourites. The dangerous High Lane captain started to find his range, but Stonesy again struck as the unfortunate batsman watched in despair as the ball trickled off his bat and onto the stumps. Harry completed his spell of 12 overs for 32 runs, and it would have been much less if one fielder in particular had been on his game! High Lane were gradually creeping back into it. A 50 partnership saw them get to within 14 runs of victory, but then the ball was smashed to Charlie Kitchen in the covers, he dropped the chance, but immediately picked up the ball and threw down the wickets with little more than one stump to aim at. Three balls later George Holden got the wicket that his spell deserved, as Charlie Kitchen held on to a simpler chance. With two overs to go there was still 13 runs required, and the last pair were at the wicket. Colin bowled with renewed pace, and he got one to lift. It brushed the glove as Ole Madden took the leg side catch to finish the game. It was a great contest, with Whaley Bridge triumphing by 11 runs. Next week we visit bottom of the table Chapel, in a much more comfortable position than we were three weeks ago.