Match Reports‎ > ‎

Whaley Bridge 2nd XI v Hollingworth (home) 6th September 2014

posted 10 Sept 2014, 06:52 by Mike Madden
An early start on a miserable day, and with Hollingworth at full strength in their quest for promotion this was always going to be tough. Added to this was the bizarre statistic that we had only recorded one home victory all season, and that was in the previous match versus an under strength Buxworth. I warned the tea ladies that if we batted first there could be a very early finish, but I need not have worried as we won the toss and stuck Hollingworth in. After 12 overs they were 19 without loss, and then we made the mistake of taking 2 wickets, the first after a good running catch by George Holden off Reuben, and the second clean bowled by Danny Burt. That was to be our last success for some time, as the Hollingworth middle order took advantage of some very poor fielding. Dropped catches mounted up, but Ole Madden finally struck as he bowled the Hollingworth number 3. There was another 50 partnership before George Holden took the next wicket after a catch by the captain, and then another mammoth stand until Reuben got his second victim, clean bowled.The innings closed on 260 for 5, half an hour later than scheduled after delays to get the ball dry, delays to find the ball in the wet field, and a delay when we had to wait for the umpire to return from the loo.

The message at the interval was simple, the visitors had simply scored too many. Our boys were very unlikely to reach their target but there was nothing to stop us from batting all day on a good track, despite having 8 juniors and one player just one year into his senior career. Harry was the first to go, bowled for 16, soon to be followed by Ben who was caught for 10. Reuben was bowled for 11, then George and Ole came together. George hit one into the field and received one of the more imaginative sledges of the season as the fielders questioned whether he was in a hurry to get back to his lego, but he continued to score well until he was caught for 24. Ole fell to a one handed catch for 5, and this brought newcomer Harry Elms together with Ethan. They started slowly. and it soon became clear that Hollingworth were a little desperate to break through and wrap up the extra bonus points. As I said earlier, Hollingworth simply scored too many, and as the field closed in it afforded the two youngsters plenty of opportunity. They took the score past 100, 125 and on to 150, where the innings closed without further losses. 150-5 was a magnificent effort, with Harry unbeaten on 42 and Ethan unbeaten on 32.